----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I repaired a Sony Viao for a friend of mine this winter -- hosed XP
installation.  I got a copy of Knoppix as a boot CD, and would switch
over personally -- I suspect it's both more stable and boots MUCH
faster. XP is a hog -- this was a 1.6G processor 512 MB ram system -- takes longer to boot than DOS/W3.1!

Ah, I'm showing my age again -- first computer was an Apple II with
128k of memory, used....
Peter
The old lady I'm switching Mac to PC for had the MB die on her second Mac. Her sister works for Dell in Austin, so she sent her a new PC. I told her I would help her learn how to use it. About all she uses a computer for is email and letter writing.

I ordered a copy of Knoppix when it first came out, hoping I could load it from disc each each time I used it. Unfortunately, it loaded too slowly on the old computer I was using. Maybe I'll try it on this one which is about five times faster.
Gerry
'83 240D and 300D