To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Saving a W140 Rodbender

Peter Frederick wrote:
Nice thing about Benz, all the engines sit on the same mounts and all
the trannies bolt up to the same pattern, as far as I know (just like
Chevy, unlike Ford).

I THINK the cocked engine in the OM60x is a problem - maybe not.

However, a rebuild on the original 350 is only about $5000 if you do it
yourself, and in fact may be somewhat less depending on the exact
engine.  Biggest cost is the new pistons and rods, neither cheap ($2500
for pistons a few years back).

Once done, the engine is as good as the 3.0L 603 the only problem being
understrength rods.  Not all engines go -- I've personally seen  one
with 350,000 miles on the original engine.

The replacement rods are NOT understrength. That's ONE reason why you
must replace ALL of them (the new ones weigh more). Reboring and
sleeving the engine is not for the faint of heart - Mercedes said it
mustn't be done in the engine manual, but they have been doing it in
their rebuilds starting when the bores were found to be wearing into an
elliptical profile in the mid '90s. Very few of the independently
rebuilt OM603.97 engines that I've heard of have lasted even 20kmi.
Maybe I only heard about the bad ones. I know of less than a dozen and 5
of them failed VERY shortly after rebuild - one was rebuilt at a
dealership, two by respected engine rebuilders and the others by
allegedly rather skilled mechanics with LOTS of experience rebuilding
gas engines.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)