[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Marshall,
Thanks for the in-depth answer - as well as the others who responded - it's threads like these that save us money when opportunities raise their ugly heads!

Marshall wrote:<<I know of less than a dozen and 5 of them failed VERY shortly after rebuild >>

This info may not be available to you, but I'm wondering what "failed"? Did they start burning oil? leaking oil? Rod thru the block? Engine knock? But if you were not seeing them 1st hand you may not have been exposed to that info --

A crank snapped on one, not sure about all of them - several never broke in - the rings never seated and oil consumption was high.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)