I went and looked at it.  Really nice car, dark blue with the tan interior in good shape, needs tires (I have a new set on the wrecked $500E300) as the fronts were totally shot (alignment?). He has the top torn apart and injector lines and what not to get at the injection pump.  He says it is the fuel pump is leaking, was blowing fuel all over.  His brother was doing the work on it then moved and never finished it so it has sat.  This guy Nabil is moving so wants to unload it.  I offered him $500 cash right there but he said some other guy offered him $600 and is coming Saturday so wants to honor that offer (which is honorable, imagine that, a used car seller...) but if the guy backs out he'll take my $500. So we'll see.  I figure it would be like an afternoon of work to swap the bits over and get it back together.

--FT