Then you haven’t seen a lot of Florida.

Northern Florida is one of the largest producers of pulp for paper. While this
isn’t a consumable in the way a vegetable or fruit is, it’s agriculture.

The area around Tampa, specifically Plant City, is the largest domestic growing
area for strawberries. Buy a quart of berries in your grocery store about now
and they’re probably from Florida. The production of blueberries in this area
is reaching significant proportions as well.

Immediately south and east of Tampa is a huge area of tomatoes and cucumbers,
so much so there are processing plants that sit idle most of the year to handle
the harvest. Farther south in the Bradenton and Sarasota area is one of the
largest citrus operations, as well as to the east in Lakeland.

The rest of the state is mostly left to cattle ranching, horse farms and citrus.

Florida has very strict laws regarding the use and sale of fertilizers,
including sales to consumers. They’re only available for use during certain
times of the year and are highly regulated. You won’t find commercial
applicators breaking these laws, as they’re quite strict and involve serious
fines and even jail time under certain circumstances. Consumers can be cited
and fined as well, and the state is quite aggressive about it. You own a single
family dwelling but buy five 40 pound bags of fertilizer? Expect a visit or
letter from the state. They don’t screw around.

My son has four different state issued certifications and licenses he has to
maintain to be able to purchase, handle and apply fertilizers and herbicides in
the state. He gets spot checked by a state inspector randomly, and if it's
determined that he misapplied something not only does he get busted, but his
employer as well (one of which is a golf course.)

-D