Very hot water opens the pores of the skin, which would have the effect of
opening potential infection pathways.
Warm water, with soap and a complete scrub, for about as long as it takes
to sing "happy birthday song" is the recommended safety hygiene, followed
by drying with clean paper towel and using the towel to close the faucet
[ie, no contact if possible to prevent re-infection vector].