One should respect a person's potential wish to keep some personal
information private, and choose what to divulge. People can be sensitive
for all sorts of reasons- you never know what kind of race-based crap they
might have had to deal with in their life. So it is understandable that
many people are cagey about it. We dont typically ask people what religion
they are, or how much money they have, or what political party they belong
to either. Same with race and ethnicity. It shouldnt matter, fundamentally.
Why do you want to know? A person is a person. But everybody grew up
somewhere and that question seems to be neutral enough to be
non-threatening. People can share what they want, but it isnt polite to put
them on the spot.