Brosseau is very knowledgable in terms of the science behind masks. She is
much less of an expert in the science of how viruses are transmitted, and
she and many others have been caught with their pants down by covid 19. In
March, CIDRAP published this piece by her, which was essentially saying
that we dont know that covid 19 is NOT transmitted through the air:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/commentary-covid-19-transmission-messages-should-hinge-science

At the end of the piece she says that it is ok that we dont have evidence
one way or the other. She also says that policy should be driven by
science.

Unfortunately for Brousseau and CIDRAP, policy cannot always wait for
science. Policymakers frequently have to make decisions based upon
inconclusive data, in the absence of scientific certainty. This was the
point Rand Paul was making to Tony Fauci the other day, and which Fauci
completely agreed with: scientists don't get to make policies unless they
are elected. A lot of policy has very little science to back it up, but
there needs to be a policy, so one is created.

 When COVID 19 started, no one recommended masks for the public -including
the CDC. In retrospect this seems to have been driven by the fact that
there was no proof of airborne spread and there were not enough masks for
the general public. There were not even enough masks for people who work in
hospitals. The major policy organizations wanted to discourage mask
hoarding by the public. So the big organizations and their experts
emphasized the lack of evidence for airborne transmission to make the case
that the public should not wear masks.

But using science to justify that policy was a mistake, because, as
Brousseau herself said: there is no good science to justify the public not
wearing masks. They should have simply said "there are not enough masks and
we need to save them for healthcare workers, so for now we dont recommend
the public wear them. "

It turns out covid 19 is transmitted very readily by the general public to
each other by airborne routes, and the absence of evidence is not the same
as evidence for absence (of airborne transmission). Several papers have
emerged since March detailing outbreaks in restaurants in China, choir
practices in Washington state and now the aerobics class in Korea where the
virus was clearly spread through the air without any close contact at all,
to 3/4 of the choir from a single person in that outbreak and to over a
hundred aerobics students by infected instructors in Korea.

So now the recommendations are changing - again despite the lack of
conclusive scientific evidence. It is clear the virus spreads through the
air, particularly indoors. We still dont have high quality evidence that
surgical and cloth masks prevent transmission, but there is pretty good
evidence that they trap the particle sizes of interest and decrease the
amount that escape into the air when people exhale. So there is some reason
to think masks are helpful, and because airborne transmission has now been
extremely well documented among members of the public, pretty much all of
the experts that were so against masks for the general public are having to
backpedal on their previous policy statements, including the CDC itself.
The countries that have done the best at containing this outbreak all have
universal mask wearing. Increasingly everyone in the scientific community
is admitting that our previous understanding of transmission routes for
respiratory viruses was completely inadequate, based on outdated evidence
and now we have to modify our thinking and our policy to deal with the
reality before us.

I cannot guarantee scientifically that surgical masks protect other members
of the public from Sars CoV 2. But I am willing to wear a mask in public,
because it doesnt cost me anything and because it looks increasingly likely
that it might be an important part of how we as a society control this
disease and get back to something closer to normal.