> > Kaleb wrote:

> > I ordered a hydroboost for my Suburban on Tuesday night, it
> > arrived at the house today.

> Craig wrote:
>
> And what, pray tell, is a hydroboost for a Surburban?

For either engines without vacuum, or for applications that might
require more than 15 psi for brake boost, GM makes a hydraulic
brake booster.  It uses a spring charged accumulator and the power
steering pump to store a whole lot of force to assist with brake
application.

The light duty suburban and pickups might have had vacuum brake
boosters driven by the mechanical vacuum pump, but the 3/4 ton and
larger diesels, and more than 1 ton gasoline I think all got
hydroboost.  At least through the 1990s.

It's a good system.  Simple, rugged, reliable, and the driver will
know there is a loss of hydraulic pressure because the steering
will be effected.

Maybe the fact that brakes and steering both change if pressure is
lost could be considered poor design...