Well, I hate to even chime in here, but...  I know some of you are purist, but
my 1983 300D with over 360,000 miles and still the same compressor from 20
years ago, has run R12, Freeze12, DuraCool, R134a, and something else.  The oil
has been mixed.  It will still cool if topped off and stop the heater valve
from overcoming the cool air.  So, no it is not recommended to mix but it will
work.  My car is proof.  It also has only run Dino 15x40 Mobil, no synthetic.
Best Wishes and Happy 4th,
Roger

Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.