When I was 17 I drove an old converted school bus party wagon full of drunks to
the Indy 500. That was the year Swede Savage got killed in a big wreck on the
2nd or 3rd lap right about the S/F line. 1972 I guess. Some of the drunks got
hit by fuel and flying debris so we were delayed leaving while they got checked
out in the infield hospital.

Getting out was a trip. They were all sh*tfaced, I was the only sober one,
threw that sucker into first gear and laid on the horn and the crowd and
traffic parted like Moses and the Red Sea. I got $20 and an infield ticket, met
a buddy right quick in amongst about  30,000 people at the first turn, that
didn’t last long.

--FT
Sent from iPhone