That was 1973, the race that went over three days. Saw that one from the
paddock penthouse. I remember Salt Walther’s car sliding to stop and seeing his
legs hanging out of the front of the tub. We also saw the crew member get hit
in the pits by the fire truck responding to the Swede Savage crash. It was a
total cluster. I remember Dan Gurney being interviewed on a local news station
after the second day, saying that as far as he was concerned they should just
make the race a scratch and move on to Milwaukee...

Things were so screwed up by the third day they weren’t even checking tickets
any more. You could pretty well walk in and sit where you wanted.

My Dad had a customer that was the commercial GMC (trucks and heavy equipment,
Parker GMC) that bought blocks of tickets to give out to customers, along with
a suite they had in the Speedway Motel on the second turn. I sat in that one
year and it was lousy except for the food, drinks and valet parking. I got free
tickets to the 500 for years from them and pretty much sat in nearly every part
of the track. Best place to sit? Southeast Vista in the end of the alphabet
double letter rows. You’re high up enough to see almost to the finish line
around the first and second turns, down the back stretch into the third turn
chute. You also get torched by the sun up there on a sunny day.

-D