I got home with the 8ft section of hose and I just decided to leave it as is rather than cutting it shorter.  I filled the tube with fluid from the HF oil can squirter then attached it to the bleeder and began pumping.  I ended up developing some air pockets in the house so I removed it from the bleeder again and got them out.  I determined the issue the whole time might have been I did not have the bleeder loose enough.  I loosened it some more and continued pumping.  After a while I noticed a small amount of movement in the brake reservoir.  Then the level started to slowly rise.  I closed the bleeder screw then went under the dash to pull the linkage rod out to install the one originally on the car.  The one that came with the MC was much shorter than the MB one that came off the car so I stuck the one that came with the MC back in.  I had a hell of a time compressing it to get it back to the bolt hole.  Finally got it, screwed it back down and now the clutch works!  I am not sure if it was a matter of leaving the rod disconnected from the clutch pedal, opening the bleed screw more, or using the oil can instead of the hose connected to brake caliper.  At the end of the day I think I prefer the oil can method because using the caliper has the potential to pump dirty brake fluid up into the brand new clutch hydraulics (although in this case the fluid looks clean like it was recently flushed.