If it is transmitted by droplets, they droplets hold the virus. If it is airborn, the virus does not require droplets to carry it, it is carried in the air.  Here are a couple of articles that explain the different and precautions needed for each.  Although the one article talks about it is known that Covid is carried in droplets, I do not believe that has been determined.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/transmission-based-precautions.html

https://fprehab.com/2020/04/10/understanding-the-difference-between-airborne-and-droplet-precautions/