Disaster!  They oiled the gravel road again today, and my wife was
attempting to drive on the side in the un-oiled swath.  She missed.
She called me and I dashed down with the (V10) truck and a tow strap.
I arrived to find the car nearly completely off the road, and at a
very precarious angle in the "almost tumble sideways down the hill"
attitude.  Very scary.  She was frozen.  I added my weight to the
uphill side and had her stop the engine and put it in Park, then
gently let loose the brake.  It lurched a bit and then stopped.  I
opened the door and held it open so she could climb out of the car.
Once she was out we could both breathe easier.  We called down the
neighbor so that we had a second set of eyes available, to help guard
against mistakes.  Jill was pretty rattled.

I had a look underneath at the front, and I couldn't find the tow
hook.  It looks like it had been broken off, and long enough ago that
there was nothing there but rust.  Huh.  On to Plan B.  I wrapped the
strap around the lower control arm on the uphill side, the steering
was already cranked over to 'drive' back onto the road.  We tied off
to the truck and I had Jill and the neighbor climb into the bed for
additional traction, and forward enough to stay away from the strap if
it should snap.  I then put it in first and 4wd and eased out the
slack, then slowly pushed on the throttle until it was floored.  It
didn't move, but I don't think we could build RPM enough to get
maximal torque.  I then backed off and put it into low range and tried
again.  This time it walked forward without any fuss, dragging the car
completely back onto the road; there was no slipping, even on the oily
gravel surface.  After that we just unhooked and everybody drove home.

Jill then washed the car, and I washed out the truck, whose carpets
had gotten filthy with road oil.  (Not petroleum, I believe.  Sticky,
black-ish, and smelly.)  I used orange Goop and a scrub brush, and a
hose.  The Shop-vac did much of the drying, the sun is finishing the
job.

I believe that a taller vehicle, like the ubiquitous SUV, would have
probably rolled under these circumstances.  This is the second time
that I believe this car's low center of gravity has prevented a worse
accident.  (Though to be fair, if the convertible _did_ roll that
would be Very Bad.)

-- Jim