> The truck still has a tailgate?
> I would have made them lie down behind it.
> Broken straps are nasty, but they won't penetrate the tailgate.

It does, and they are, but due to bad planning the bed was still full of kayaks.
They were sort of 'behind' those too.  There was no jerking, so the amount
of potential energy stored within a potentially breaking strap was limited to
only whatever the truck could develop via traction with the oily road.  I felt
it was safe-ish, but certainly could have been wrong.

-- Jim