You've not seen diesel smoke until you've driven a Volvo TD with a bad IP -- smoke isn't the word! Before I got the IP fixed (the last time, it's out of use again...), downshifting the automatic on the highway would result in a black cloud that completely obscured the car behind. They ALWAYS slowed down -- probably couldn't see anything for the smoke!

Very rude, probaby stunk too, but hey, I really insist on being able to see the headlights of the car behind me at 70 mph in a 55 zone when I'm trying to turn left in half a mile in heavy traffic....

It still smokes some with the IP fixed (mostly a stuck cold start injector, meaning I'm probably really looking at an engine rebuild instead of a bad IP this time -- wears out the top of the cylinders from over-advanced IP timing), but nothing like before!

Peter