Bob R says:

>We both grew up in Illinois, we have family there, >but taxes are killer (my
>dad reminds me every >time I talk with him on the phone).
>So much to consider....

Illinois is swirling the bowl. It was severely in the red before the government
reaction to Covid. I haven't looked at the numbers recently, but I suspect they
are within twenty four months of bankruptcy at this point. I also suspect they
are hoping for a federal regime change, followed by a nice bail out package.
The public pensions are protected by the Illinois Constitution, and they are
wicked expensive. Plus most, if not all pensions are guaranteed a three percent
increase per annum. Retire at 55, collect a pension, get another cush job for a
decade, collect two pensions. If you take into consideration there are school
administrators in absolute sh*t hole school districts making upwards of $300 k
a year, you can see this is quite a dilemma. As of now pensions are not taxed,
but that WILL be changing.

I would strongly urge NOT moving to Illinois.
I might consider Southern Indiana where Peter lives, or perhaps somewhere
around Madison.

 See for reference.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2018/06/04/the-exclusive-100000-club-meet-30000-members-at-the-illinois-teachers-retirement-system-trs/amp/

https://www.openthebooks.com/