W211s are definitely more refined than the 220 or 210. However, they are
equally more complex as far as the “nanny” stuff. That’s not necessarily bad,
as I don’t think most of it has issues from what I’ve seen.

Things to avoid/be aware of:

Balance shafts in the gassers
Black Death in diesels
Air suspension (optional on most, I haven’t seen it a lot myself)
SBC (brake system) - maybe not a concern since it’s now warranted for 25 years

I would consider one after having the oldest son’s E320 CDI, as despite having
major (327k) miles, it was a nice ride.

-D