> Apparently there are ways to create a vmdk file that “points” at a physical
> drive, but I’ve been unsuccessful in getting this to work.

I was chasing doing this at one time, and I thought I'd gotten it to work.  It
is _not_ a trivial process.
Then again, maybe I never did get it to work and gave up.  I was trying to get
Mac OS 10.6 to boot
in a VMware partition, against a physical disk that could also be booted
directly to 10.6, but of course
you have to reboot the box to do it that way, which I did not want to do.  My
biggest problem was
VMware vs 10.6 (non-server), which is not only un-supported but is actively
discriminated against.
(10.6 has Rosetta, which was the purpose of the exercise.  That, and
configuring original Airport Express
modules, which only the OLD utility will talk to.)

I gave up and went with VirtualBox instead, and abandoned the physical 10.6
disk.  (Which is still
in the machine, and could be booted to if I cared.)

-- Jim