> Dan wrote:

> My STAR system is on a VM that runs off an external drive. It
> works fine, but it’s sluggish and I don’t care to have the
> hassle of an external drive. I found a larger hard drive for my
> laptop, but I want to move the VM to the larger hard drive and
> put it into the laptop as the boot drive.

Why not keep it as a virtual machine?  It is very easy to copy,
move to new hardware, keep special software running on old
operating systems, etc.  Especially since from what I remember
STAR is picky.  If it's happy in a VM - leave it there!

> I can’t get the VM to recognize the USB connected drive as a
> hard drive.

Virtualbox or VMWare?  I haven't used VMWare in more than a decade.

Virtualbox can mount external harddrives via USB.  But the recent
open source versions of virtualbox need "extensions" to allow
USB.  Those are separate pieces due to licensing.  I only run
Virtualbox host on Linux, so I can't comment on what is included
on a Mac on MSWin install.

Might that be your problem?

I still recommend keeping it as a virtual machine and not turning
it into hardware.  But maybe I'm not understanding what you are
really trying to do.