It's a Uverse modem, I plugged it into the line, it churned and blinked for a few minutes then all was well.  I had the computer plugged in directly, phone etc are on wifi.  I don't know how it did it, but it made my life simpler I guess.  Maybe they knew this modem was for me, or maybe it just talked to their network and it knew it was mine as it was on my line.  F'n Majick however it was done.

I boxed up the old one to send back, there are a coupla little bits inside rattling around, probably something that got blown off the circuit board or something.

--FT