Probably your modem negotiates with whatever the next thing is upstream and
that box kept your configuration. If its their box they've probably got some
little note in the ToS that allows for it.
We've got a storage system that has a little Linux computer (or 2 for
redundancy) onboard. If the computer fails you get a replacement, hot swap it
into the box, it picks up your software version and configuration from a saved
copy and configures itself. It sits and churns for about 15 minutes and then is
ready to use again.
Compared to the old days when new hardware meant between 9 and 25 minutes of
staring, hoping, praying the system would accept a manual update this is indeed
magik and well appreciated.
-Curt

    On Thursday, August 20, 2020, 4:25:26 PM EDT, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes