You guys needed it. I was telling someone from your neighborhood a few months
ago what a huge expense insurance was here compared to the Midwest, and they
enlightened me as to Michigan’s outrageous insurance costs. One of the most
expensive states in the nation for insurance, I believe.

We have had some “reforms” but they’ve been minimal at best. Problem here is
what’s known as “PIP”, or personal injury. Basically, the first $10k paid out
for medical claims is guaranteed, so you can imagine the cottage industry of
doctors and lawyers that have sprung up around it. 10 years ago there was
massive fraud being perpetrated by people who would stage accidents in
collusion with care providers to get the $10k.

It’s been tightened up somewhat, but now the slimy doctors and lawyers involved
in it lobby the legislature to keep it in place.

The other biggie here is uninsured motorist coverage. Because there are so many
transitional people down here, a lot of people coming into the state with
limited means won’t get insurance. As long as they don’t register or title a
car here there’s no way to nail them, so when they are in an accident you get
dinged because they can’t pay.

-D