Advance Auto can pull the code and tell you what it means. This will be
an OBD-II code, which are standard across all cars. So you'll have a
pretty good idea of what the problem is, but there may be more detailed
diagnostic information available to a mechanic who has the factory scan
tools (Star scanner).

Allan

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> I've driven my 2014 250 GLK Bluetec for about 2k miles since early April.
> I just noticed yesterday that the "check engine" icon was lit.  This is a
> generic, non-specific alert that the owner'smanual says I must get
> professionally evaluated.  The vehicle is behaving normally in every regard.
>
> I hesitate to take the car into the dealership for what they might tell
> me...  so I would probably ask my indy tech if he had the computer hookup
> to do the testing...  Or would Advance Auto lend me a diagnostic tool so I
> can self-evaluate the issue that has caused the check engine light to
> illuminate?
> Suggestions?
>
> 2014 GLK 250 Bluetec SUV
> Rides great but an Issue Lurks

Allan Streib
Indiana University
Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
Digital Science Center | Intelligent Systems Engineering | FutureSystems