My buddy's dad bought him something like a 75 or 76 Vega wagon to drive in college after his Beetle kakked.  Might have been 74, too long ago to remember. Red/black, 4spd cheap stripper, it actually looked pretty nice though.  He thrashed that thing unmercifully and I think the engine blew up or started blowing oil after like 20k miles which apparently was the main issue with them unless they rusted out first.

My boss when I worked at the airport summers in college had a yellow Pinto wagon or hatchback or whatever it was, black interior, 4spd.  He let me drive it once to go on some errand or delivery or something.  It was quite peppy and handled well, you could see out of the big windows well too.  I kinda liked it, it was "sportier" than the big merkin iron I was used to driving.

Another summer I was working for another place, a guy drives up on the ramp (back when you could do that sort of thing) early one Sunday morning in his MGB GT, BRG/black, and asks me to get his airplane out of the hangar.  OK fine.  So I get the plane out after some jockeying other planes around, he hands me the keys to the car and says, "Go drive it around if you want."  Oh yeah.  So I spent the next hour or so racing around the ramp and the old taxiway that went by our hangar.  Now THAT was sporty!  He comes back after awhile, I fueled the plane and put it away, give him the keys back.  H asked me how I enjoyed the car and we chatted a bit about it, really nice guy.  I think he really got a charge out of letting me drive his car.  I can't remember who he was, a rich guy with toys I guess, just liked to have fun with them.

--FT