Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> Here you can still get some sort of federal and state rebates on a bolt and
> you also save the 5k/yr in fuel, so dont forget to include that in the
> calculation

Yes, but how much more do you pay in electricity, assuming you charge at
home using utility power? I'm sure it's less than the cost of the
gasoline but it's not zero.

The state is also foregoing whatever taxes it would have collected on
that gasoline, as well as assuming the costs of whatever credits and
other goodies they are handing out. Yet the roads still need to be
maintained. When and how does that lost revenue get made up? Indiana for
example already charges a hefty registration fee for EVs to partly make
up for the lost gasoline tax revenue, since it's not really practical to
tax the electricity used for charging.

Allan