We’re shopping appliances for the new house, and all I can say is there seems
to be nothing in the way of basic, plain Jane sort of appliances any more. I
figured we could find an inexpensive washer and dryer and like you, I was
stunned when I walked through Lowe’s the other day and didn’t see a washer for
under $700.

When we head up north I’m going to check out what used to be Sears Outlet. You
could get some good deals on closeouts and scratch and dent stuff there.
They’ve been bought out by a company called “American Freight” apparently, but
they’re still doing the same thing. There are four stores around Indy.

I als plan on going to some independent appliance stores, too. I think the big
box retailers fix prices or simply don’t carry a wide range of stuff for a
reason. The independent appliance stores might be a little more expensive but
I”m guessing they have access to a much wider range of models and prices.

-D