Tarek Elshenawy wrote:
So I know I've seen stuff on the lists about these things having problems,
but never paid attention because I thought ownership was out of the
question. I recently came across a fine specimen, however and wish to be
enlightened about general maintenance and common problems.

The car is a 1995 S420. I remember reading about wiring harness problems...
is this all wiring harnesses? I recall reading an article about how the
wiring for the AC compressor was too short, but starting in 95, they
corrected the problem. Did Mercedes address all wiring problems starting in
95?

NO! '95s had biodegradable wiring harnesses - the replacement harnesses were identical and would biodegrad in another 5-10 years AND AC evaporators that leaked and required 30+ hours of labor to change!

My second question is regarding the chassis. Does the 95 S420V designation
constitute an extended wheelbase? I know they made short and long wheelbase
S320's, but were all S420, 500 and 600's the long wheelbase versions?

I also remember reading that the major downfall of all the gasoline W140
models was the transmission. Is this true?

The transmission was the same basic 722.3 transmission that was in all 126/123/124 series cars from 1981 on! Hardly a more reliable transmission ever made (and the later ones were MORE reliable than the earlier ones).

In short, I would just like any information regarding the common problems
and general maintenance for the W140, specifically the S420 if possible.

The electronics for the 140 lighting system is more complex than the entire electrical system of a 126 chassis car. VERY expensive to maintain! They are a delight to drive, WHEN everything is working as it should. Costs to repair are EXCESSIVE and you really can't maintain them without the dealer setup.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)