pull the air cleaner, I think.   I don't think it's the pressure switch
(although that could account for the jerky boost I noticed in the past)
because the pressure was low right out of the manifold.

It's not so simple as that!  The system is a positive feedback one, and
if there is no additional fuel to go with the (initial) modest boost,
full boost will _not_ be generated!  The pressure switch is absolutely
capable of blocking full boost from being generated.  That, after all,
is its main purposes in life.

Sudden failures, if not attributable to obvious mechanical breakage,
are almost always electrical or small-hose (control) plumbing related.

-- Jim