Mitch had provided a link earlier to Costco's sale on this laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/aluminum-silver-hp-17-by2053cl/p/1TS-000D-0CA13

Costco no longer offer this on their website, but my local store had 16 in
stock a couple days ago, I think I'm going to get one today, on sale for
$480.

Found a u-tuber video of a similar model being upgraded from the 1TB HDD to
add an M.2 drive, and then move the OS over to the M.2 drive so the 1TB HDD
is only used for user data storage.

I'm thinking about getting this laptop, and then opening it up to confirm
that the M.2 drive socket is present and that the BIOS will support adding
the second drive.