On 2020-12-11 19:52, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
How often do the tanks need to be inspected/recertified/replaced? I've
heard that this is something that people sometimes overlook in the buy
vs. rent calculation.

DOT tanks need certifying. Those are the ones you can haul to the hardware store for a fill.

Stationary tanks do not. If the paint is scratched to bare metal, you should do something about it before it rusts. The old ones with screw down gauges (pre-1980 mostly) you should pull the gauge and put a new seal under it occasionally. When I bought a 1964 tank that I didn't know anything about other than the guy I bought it from had it for over ten years and it hadn't been serviced to his knowledge, I resealed it. IIRC the shop I went to charged me $0.50 for the seal.