On 2020-12-15 18:31, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:

The mm wave will support some serious speeds, but it has very limited
range. This is what they deploy in metropolitan areas. The lower
frequency (600 MHz?) stuff will go into outlying areas where line of
sight and latency is expected.

T-Mo uses the 700MHz band for some of its "4G" antennae, in order to push the signal some distance. I'm 5 miles due south of my T-Mo tower, and my cell stretches to the lake nearly five miles south of me. I'm pretty sure that cell runs around 700MHz and does not have fantastic speeds. I wonder if I can get RF information (frequency, signal strength) from the modem they sent me. Cute little thing, slightly smaller than my old Cradlepoint pocket router, about the size of a pack of cigarettes but half as thick. If the sample device doesn't do the lower frequencies I suspect it won't work any better than my phone here.