ned kleinhenz wrote:
When I recently removed the intake manifold off my '95 E300D (124 with a 606
engine) , I changed the glow plugs.
The front 3 plugs required hours of coaxing finessing and arm strength to
get them out.  And the new ones went in with similar difficulty.
The new ones wrenched to specified torque with lots of thread still showing.
The back 3 plugs came out with ease. And the new ones threaded all the way
in by hand, then tightened normally with the torque wrench.

Seems like I've read about the injector ports filling with carbon and
causing these kinds of problem...  Is my memory correct?  What is the
correct way to fix this problem?

DO NOT run the engine without cleaning (reaming) out the carbon and insuring that the replacement plugs go in easily and fully seat (just achieving proper torque is NOT sufficient)!!!! Failure to clean out carbon and not insuring that the plugs fully seat is what causes MOST of the glow plug problems that cost $3000+ to repair!!

You can't just run a drill bit in. That can easily damage the prechamber/ballpin.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)