FL is a good example of a state doing a terrible job (the 2000 election,
Bush v. Gore and the hanging chad etc.) and then learning the hard lesson
and making the changes to improve.

It seems that other states are learning that hard lesson too, and if the
voters in those states desire, they can improve their election process and
systems.

Until people actually roll up their sleeves and get involved and do the
work, it won't change.  Do the work and fix it if you think it is broken.

I'm also amazed at how many states don't require voter ID.  Hard to believe
but true.

Matching signatures on mail-in ballots is not an easy task at all,
especially when the sheer volume is increased like it was this year.  Done
manually, that is a huge amount of manhours to sort through each ballot and
compare to each voter registration record.  Here in SC we made the State
spend money on scanning machines so that process can be largely automated,
and the easy matches are made quickly by the machines, and the hard matches
are kicked out for a human to decide.  In those cases, both parties can
have poll watchers present to review and agree or dispute, and if the
signature is disputed we can ask the voter to 'cure' that ballot by showing
up in person with ID to verify their signature.
Max
Charleston SC