That is a reasonable question. I tend to think that had they been allowed
to do what they wanted to do, based upon their expertise in this area,
rather than being micromanaged at every turn by people with no formal
training in medicine, public health, or any other form of scientific
endeavor, that things would have been very different in terms of the course
of this epidemic and its magnitude. We have lots of examples of countries
that had a strong centralized government response, and did far better than
we have in terms of deaths per 100k.