Curt -
If you have access, definitely replace the bad lumber if it is threatening
to affect the structural integrity of the house. When you replace that one
obvious member you may find that other adjacent framing members have been
infected as well and their damage may not be significant enough to warrant
replacement or they may not be as easy to remove. Remember that dry rot is a
fungus spread by spores and even if you remove the "bad" part of an infected
piece of lumber the spores have migrated about a foot into the "good"
lumber. These are just waiting for a source of moisture to take up
housekeeping. This was the problem that I had when I bought my home. My
front deck, a second story cantilevered deck, sits on the extended ends of
two 8X12 girders that support my second story. After I removed the deck I
found that the exposed ends of these girders were badly infected with rot
and termites and as much as 1" of the top surface of these beams were either
infected with rot or just plain missing. Another similarly sized member
perpendicular to these, supporting the front wall of the house, was infected
along all the length of its' front face. To replace these would have meant
dismantling much of my second story. The typical fix I have seen to effect a
repair would be to cut away the bad sections of the top of the girders that
support the deck and replace the missing volume of wood with new lumber
sandwiched to the top these members and/or to possibly "sister" full size
lumber on both sides of the missing area to make up for the missing volume.
Next, one would poison the remaining infected wood in hopes that there would
be no further spread. In reality, because of the aforementioned hidden
dormant spores, a future infestation would be highly likely. Luckily, while
surfing the web about methods of dry rot containment, I came upon the site
for "the Rot Doctor". This fellow has developed a 2 part wood based epoxy
with the viscosity of diesel fuel. One can "paint" this epoxy onto the
damaged wood letting it soak into the grain thus saturating the damaged area
and beyond into the grain of the first few feet of the "good" wood. When the
Epoxy "goes off" and fully cures, in about 24 hours, the damaged area is
plasticized with structural strengths likely exceeding that of the original
wood, plus, the spores in the infected good wood have been sealed off from
moisture or plasticized as well. To effect my repair, I dug into the tops
and sides of the exposed girders to make sure that I had open or exposed all
the "tubes" created by those voracious little termites, but I left a fair
volume of the pithy material infected with rot. I also drilled a number of
small holes into the surface of the bad areas to give my repair material a
good foothold. Next I painted on the thin epoxy and drenched the wood with
the stuff until it was saturated and would no longer accept more of the
epoxy. After that cured, I used clear packaging tape as a dam or form on the
sides of the girder, extending a bit above desired height for the top of my
reconstructed girder. I then mixed up some regular viscosity epoxy mixed
with "mill fibers" (ground up fiberglass) and filled the forms. After
grinding down the patched areas to match the surrounding wood with my disc
sander, it is hard to tell that a repair has been made. The infected
vertical face of the girder along the front of the house was painted until
saturation with the thin epoxy as well to seal it up from further
infestations. Wherever I had wood touching wood as I rebuilt the deck, I
would treat those areas with the epoxy to make sure that any trapped
moisture would not begin the process again. I was even able to reuse a
couple of the original 2X12X20 redwood joists for the deck by treating a few
of the infected areas where the wood was pithy but it was still
dimensionally good. This repair has lasted about 7 years now with no signs
of degradation and is constantly exposed to the elements, including direct
sun and some minor standing water. So you see that this may be a good way of
effecting a permanent repair to any of the possibly infected framing
members, or possibly you wouldn't have to replace anything if you can get
good access to all the sites of infection. I hope that this helps you effect
a permanent repair if you decide to purchase this property.

Go to this site...

http://www.rotdoctor.com/

I use the CPRES product. In fact, I keep a quart kit around for an
occasional spot repair. It has come in handy in many occasions on my stuff
and my neighbors as well. I suggest that you read up on the material on his
site. It is very educational. You will be a rot expert!  ;^)

Barry -----Original Message-----