As mentioned you should have a professional home inspector check things out. Cost should be the same as having your friendly benz dealer
do a pre-buy car inspection for you.

Beside the last house we bought, armed with a long list of issues from the inspector, we managed to talked the seller into shaving an additional $10,000 off the price, which of course was better in my pocket (soon to be spent) than his.