Last Chevy I owned was an early '90s era Blazer (the SUV version of the
S-10). It was a RWD version. Over the years we owned it, it had some
annoying electical gremlins but no major mechanical problems.

Last Ford I owned was an F150 crew cab it was about a 2001 model. Also a
RWD model. Zero issues with it, though a friend had a slightly older
Expedition and he had repeated coil pack failures.

No experience with anything newer than my '04 Frontier, which I bought
with insurance money when the F150 was totaled. It is very true that
trucks depreciate less and prices can be surprisingly high even on older
ones. Toyotas and Nissans hold value better than domestics but these
days I'm not sure they are objectively better vehicles.

I test drove a Ford Ranger when I bought the Nissan, and I would have
probably gone with it except it had a standard cab and the Nissan had
the King cab. At the time my kids were small and they thought the jump
seats were fun. Fast forward 10 years and they weren't so useful but
it's still nice to have that area behind the seats for groceries, etc.

You can save money, weight, and complexity by avoiding 4WD if you don't
need it. I'd say a Ranger would be worth a look.

Allan