As mentioned, it's the rheostat.  You can wiggle it back and forth
carefully for several minutes and you might get lucky and get the lights to
come on a bit.  The real fix is to take it apart and clean the contacts
well.  If the resistive coil inside has come out of its place in the
ceramic body, then there isn't much hope to fit it.

Good news is they're available new from Mercedes again.  I just bought one.

Jaime

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 7:37 PM Donald Snook via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Is there a fuse for the instrument cluster on a 123? Mine is BLACK. Not
> dim or dark. Totally black
>
> Donald H. Snook

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/