New fuel filters and some diesel purge / Italian tune ups should be in your
future. On the flat a 4spd manual 240D should make 87.5mph. They don't strain,
they're governor limited, the engine just won't turn any faster.
Best fuel economy I ever turned in in something like 100,000 miles across 2x
240Ds was 32mpg, average was around 28 so it sounds like you're doing fine
there. A couple 0-60 runs should tell the tale, IIRC it should be around 20
seconds.

My '78 had an issue where the pedal wasn't moving the rack the whole way
reliably. I don't remember exactly but there are several linkages and ge-gaws
and whatnot. IIRC some people complain about the rubber joint right at the
firewall. I seem to remember mine had a bushing on the block that had failed,
caused it to only go to about 3/4 of the pedal. Once I fixed that it was much
peppier.
-Curt

    On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:53:31 AM EST, Donald Snook via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 Kaleb wrote:

> How far have you made it? Noting has flown apart yet? I kind of miss that
> car actually. I do need to get a 240D going for myself to drive.

I made it all the way home.  I stopped a couple times to take a break and tried
to figure out instrument cluster and fuse issue. Never did have luck.

Nothing flew off! Thankfully.  I do understand what others have said about how
slow these are. And yes, it takes some planning ahead.
It was good on flat stretches. I could maintain 70-73 mph. A few times, if
there was a pretty good hill I could get close to 80.  Having the new tires was
much better. I would have been nervous with old tires.

I had heard some people say that when these cars are at maximum speed they are
really straining.  It definitely didn’t feel that way to me. When I was getting
up to speed it definitely generates some RPMS, but once I shifted into 4th, it
seemed to just settle in. It’s not fast — at all.  But, once it’s in 4th and
cruising at 70 mph, it felt like it wasn’t straining.  It was like it was
saying, “ok, here we are at cruising speed. This is what you get. I can do this
all day, but I’m not pushing too hard.”

I had the pedal Floored for pretty much the whole time.  But, at 70 mph it
didn’t feel like it was working too hard.

I did check the mileage. I had to guess a little based on mileage traveled on
my GPS because the odometer quit.  My calculations are probably pretty close.
27.5 mpg.

Don Snook