> mattress industry says you need a new mattress every 8 years

Our guest room has a 'long boy' mattress.  (Standard width, queen length.)
Was bought for my Dad when he was in high school.  He used it for years,
then it was the marital bed for years.  When I got my first apartment it became
my bed for 20+ years, until my wife wanted a new, bigger bed.

It's had a _lot_ of use over the years.  Of note is that pretty much everybody
who sleeps on it thinks it's a very nice mattress, Jill thinks it's better than
the
one on our bed.

I guess they _used_ to know how to make a mattress...

-- Jim