Good question. The lumber shortage is mostly a shortage of finished
product. Supplies of timber, especially in the southern US forests, are
plentiful. There *are* some issues in Canada from what I've read.

It's the finished lumber that is in short supply. Many sawmills shut
down expecting vast drop-offs in demand due to COVID and lockdowns. The
opposite happened, and they haven't caught up yet.

If it's the same with steel, and the problem is that the mills are not
running, then they probably aren't buying scrap either so scrap prices
could conceivably be low even if demand for finished steel is high.

Allan