I think Randy is correct on all points. The gas engines available today are so
powerful, fuel efficient and long-lived the advantages of a diesel are
considerably less than they used to be.
Last night I hauled the dirty old Ferd to Maine. 4,000# tractor on what is
probably a 1,000# trailer. Dodge RAM 1500, 5.7l hauled it no problem. 390HP, it
did hold in 4th (5spd automatic) to pull hills but I never felt like I couldn't
accelerate.
3/4 ton and heavier trucks need more expensive tires too, like twice the money.
Insurance and tax will be more too...

-Curt

    On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 11:54:04 AM EDT, Randy Bennell via Mercedes