No, the freight rail issue was the railroads trying to get a monopoly and shut
everyone else down.  Huge shipping rate wars resulted in the collapse of the
rail beds and operations because they weren't making enough money, in spite of
being able to legally cooperate on setting rates.  Corporate stupidity.
Bankrupted the New York Central after they bought everyone else on the East
Coast, leaving the nation with NO freight rail until the Feds stepped in, and
killed the passenger service.  We got the grossly underfunded AmTrack instead.

The rail system should have been nationalized during WWi and operated like the
highway system, with the rail companies operating the trains and the rails
being owned and operated by the Federal government (like highways).  Rail
companies paid highway fuel tax on diesel fuel into the 1980s, directly
subsidizing their competition.

To give you an idea of how crazy the rail system is, the 20th Century Limited
from New York to Chicago passed over the rails owned and maintained by
something like 175 railroad companies, some of which owned less the 20 miles of
track and had not owned equipment since the early teens.

Shear lunacy.  This includes the fact that for many years going west of the
Mississippi River required going through Chicago, even if you were going from
New Orleans to Alberquerque.  All the rails were laid by private companies for
whatever they were doing in the mid to late 1800s, and in those days everything
in the West (since it was almost all cattle being shipped for export) went to
Chicago.  Once the local companies serving smaller cities dropped passenger
service you have to take one of the big lines (if they still had service) and
they all ran through Chicago.  Take a look at the railroad maps sometime if you
don't believe me.

If I could take a train from Evansville to St. Louis I'd get to visit my niece
and nephew a lot more, and could have take my Mom some years longer than we
could in a car.