Two bolts, remove the cover and old seal, install new seal with old cover,
install bolts.

Pretty simple, you’ll see it when you’re in there.

-D

On Aug 20, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Robert Koziak
<rkmerce...@aol.com<mailto:rkmerce...@aol.com>> wrote:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply!  I am not familar with the timing cover oil seal
replacement procedure.   Sounds like a great idea.  What's involved?

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: dan penoff.com<http://penoff.com> via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com<mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>>
To: Okie Benz <mercedes@okiebenz.com<mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>>
Cc: dan penoff.com<http://penoff.com> <d...@penoff.com<mailto:d...@penoff.com>>
Sent: Fri, Aug 20, 2021 9:44 am
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 2004 Mercedes E320 Water Pump/Thermostat Replacement

It’s too late for this one, but in the future and for reference for others,
explore the possibility of buying a pump from the dealer. It’s close to the
same price as aftermarket, and the guarantee is better.

I make a cardboard template of the pump and poke holes in it for the bolts,
then put each bolt in it’s respective location. Makes it a lot easier to put
everything back together.

No gasket sealer. I believe the rubber seal is the correct one.

Can’t offer torque values, but I’m sure you can find the operation online with
them.

Get a new timing cover oil seal and replace it while you’re there. It’s
probably leaking but if not, will be.
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/50251/Timing-Cover-Seal-1121840280/

This is a pretty straightforward job, especially on the later models with
electric fans.

-D