Did you think of trying to put a hood over the emitter or the sensor, such
that they would be shielded as if nighttime (but still be able to see each
other)?  I have an old SLR film camera that started producing terrible pix,
my father figured out it had a light leak, found and plugged that light
leak, and restored it to perfect picture taking operation again.  This saga
reminds me of that problem / solution.
Max
Charleston SC