I would try silver soldering it or (I don't remember the size) drilling,
tapping, and using a large headed machine screw from the bottom.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM David Bruckmann via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your responses.
>
> I managed to find a 1976 300D at a PickNPull about 1.5h away. Scored said
> linkage (also a little loose, but at least not separated) along with a
> miscellany of other bits. They had a W114 250C and a W108 280SE 4.5. Always
> amazes me in California that cars with NO rust or other obvious damage are
> sent to the crusher.
>
> Might go back for the windshield out of that W108 and the electric window
> mechanisms.
>
> Kaleb, were you serious about the JB Weld?
>
> D.
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 Frederick Moir wrote:
> >
> >Could the lever be drilled and a nut secured ball be used. I have one
> >somewhere, if it helps
> >Fred
> >
> >On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 3:21 PM Randy Bennell via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> > Could you use small heim joints and make your own replacement linkage?
> >

> > On 27/08/2021 1:49 PM, David Bruckmann via Mercedes wrote:
> > > Good afternoon,
> > >
> > > My 1976 300D's accelerator linkage has come apart. This is the stamped
> > > piece attached to the valve cover immediately before the rod that
> > descends
> > > to the injection pump. The failure is that one of the balls has come
> > loose
> > > from the stamping, meaning that it becomes detached while driving,
> > leading
> > > to "loss of control" as NHTSA would say.
> > >
> > > I was initially hopeful because I was able to order (and pay for) said
> > > linkage (know as LEVER, CONTROL A6170700022,
> > > https://partssearch.mercedes-benz-classic.com/parts/A6170700022 ), but
> > > after two weeks and confirmation with Tom Hanson, the part is
> definitely
> > > NLA. Too bad, because at under $20 it seemed like a no brainer.
> > >
> > > This part was used *only *on 1975-76 300D 617.910 non-turbo engines.
> > Alas,
> > > the non-turbo W123 had a different linkage, even though they used the
> > same
> > > engine.
> > >
> > > So, options are:
> > >
> > > 1. Find a used one (*DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE THIS PART?*)
> > >
> > > 2. Repair the one I have. I was thinking of using solder to prevent the
> > > ball from being pulled out of the stamping, but I don't thnk that's
> > likely
> > > to succeed in the long term.
> > >
> > > Would welcome ideas on either front!
> > >
> > > D.

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!