An effective EMP event does not require a huge nuke. A small nuke,
detonated at altitude to maximize coverage.. or several small nukes
perhaps, could fry every circuit board and computer system. Your "smart
phone" would be a brick, TV stations, banks, gas pumps, food stores, cash
registers.... the list quickly gets long, because we are now deeply
committed to such devices, and have no backup system.
Suddenly, your cars do not run, you have no cash, your food in the fridge
is rotting, and you can't call 911 because the phone system is fried... cop
radios don't work... etc etc etc....  no backup systems in place.
What just happened to your personal quality of life, as you now know it?