Our '74 Microbus type II had a 2.0 liter FI engine. The one time I had
trouble with it, I cleaned every electrical connector I could find in the
engine compartment and never had another bit of engine trouble. I finally
sold it after too many winter days commuting to work with next to no  heat
and about the same amount of defrost, also because my wife never could
master the standard with the hills at stop lights.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 3:39 PM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> As I recall, which is a dangerous thing for times so long ago, FI didn’t
> appear in VWs until the early 70s, and it started in the Super Beetle and
> Type IV (fastback/squareback/411).
>
> -D
>
> > On Sep 15, 2021, at 3:16 PM, Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > A friend of mine in high school had a clapped-out Scirocco that he had
> removed the FI from and installed a carburetor. I gather was a pretty
> common home-mechanic approach to dealing with FI problems before engines
> got so computerized that it was no longer possible.
> >
> > Neighbors growing up had a green, late '60s Type III. I assume it was
> carbureted but don't know for sure. Pretty cool car, it had rust
> perforation by the mid 1970s and they traded it for a Chevy Vega -- a
> downgrade IMO.
> >
> > Allan
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, at 3:03 PM, dan penoff.com via Mercedes wrote:
> >> I had a 71 Fastback that was the requisite VW orange. Great car after I
> yanked the Bosch FI and installed dual carbs. In fairness, the PO had
> boogered up the FI somehow and it was beyond my budget at the time to
> resolve, so I went the way of dual carbs.
> >>
> >> -D

> though
> a DL
> I love

> when
> have a
> one that

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!